The Council of Professors and Heads of Computing have constituted a sub-group, the Learning Development Working Group.
The aims of the LDG are:
- To promote the development of learning within computing departments.
- To provide a focus for addressing disciplinary-focussed teaching and learning issues for the CPHC community
- To identify existing and/or potential actions inside and outside of the CPHC community relevant to these issues.
- To facilitate sharing practice across the CPHC community
The Group’s activities focus on areas of interest to CPHC members, and are complementary to those of the Higher Education Academy
The Chair of the LDG is elected from the main CPHC committee. There is no fixed membership for the LDG. Rather the group undertakes one or two activities a year (in line with the LDG aims) for which working groups are individually convened.
Chair: Sally Fincher
LDG Working Groups …
WG4 – Building a Graduate Employability Community in Computing (GECCo)
Remit: To bring together colleagues engaged in graduate employability from multiple institutions to share practice, document practice and build on-going community.
Members: Professor Sally Fincher; Dr Janet Finlay
Status: Finished: see TheGECCOWorkshopsReport
WG3: Computing Graduate Employability
Remit: To gather, analyse and present employability practices in Computing Departments in the UK. The project both details the actual practices that departments engage in with regard to employability and also places them in a comparative context.
The project had two parts: a series of workshops and a report.
- Workshops for sharing practices between participating institutions.
- Report containing a series of case-studies, exemplifying employability practice “on the ground” gathered from a cross-section of institution types, missions and geographic locations.
Members: Professor Sally Fincher (Chair). Project Researcher: Dr Janet Finlay. Steering Group: Sally Smith, Professor Carsten Maple, Dr Iain Philips, Professor Edmund Robinson.
Status: Completed Report now available (PDF)
WG2: Enterprise and Entrepreneurship in the Computing Curriculum
Remit: The LDG has compiled a register of where (and how) enterprise and entrepreneurship activities figure in the undergraduate curriculum.
Members: Sally Fincher, University of Kent; Liz Burd, Durham University.
WG1: Survey of Computing Student Enagement (SCSE)
Remit: The LDG is working to devise a subject-based survey of student engagement, drawing on the US National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) and the Australian Survey of Student Engagement (AUSSE). This will be piloted in 2013 and offered across the sector in 2014.
Members: Sally Fincher, University of Kent (Chair); Janet Carter, University of Kent; Nick Gibbens, University of Southampton; Chrisina Jayne, Coventry University; Denise Oram, Glyndwr University; Jane Reid, Queen Mary University of London; Mak Sharma, Birmingham City University; Rupert Ward, Huddersfield University.